Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A day of fun

It was in Teluk Intan, formerly known as Teluk Anson, in Perak, I was there to officiate the grand opening of our McDonald's outlet, yes it is the first McDonald's and operating 24 hours with drive thru service.
I drove there a day earlier and planned to take a good look at the little town and to visit the leaning clock tower which is located at the center of the town itself, I was walking wandering in the street when I saw search lights playing in the sky, wondering what is happening at the place that search lights' from, I followed the lights towards the 'venue'.
When I came to a bus terminal, I could see bright lights beyond, noises, shouting and screaming, I didn't expect anything like this in a small town lol. I saw the Ferris wheel, merry-go-round and the bumper cars; It was a fun fair!

Well, it didn't really interest me in the first place, but since I was there I just have to find some fun anyway, the last time I remembered entering a fun fair was about 10 years ago lol.
Entering from which I think it's a side entrance where the tiny sign board wrote 'Masuk Free' and several snacks stalls were beside it, I entered without hesitation lol.

Oh, I didn't mention I was with a colleague huh did I? Anyway I dragged him along too. It was like going back in time when I was younger, all the running lights, loud shrieking disco music, noises from the machines, shouting and I could hear people talking through the hand held speaker 'Mai mai 3 token saje, geranti dapat hadiah...' and many stalls with all sizes of soft toys hanging. So, I went to the counter with a huge sign board 'TOKEN' to exchange some tokens.
There were not many kids around, rather more adults, were surrounding at a stall particularly, out of curiosity, I walked towards that stall, squeezing myself in to peek at what game was playing...it's kinda like roulette; with a long steel rod spinning round and round and a tiny pin tied with a silver chain to the tip of the rod, and I could see tokens were placed on the counter with numbers and letters, it was spinning very slowly almost stopping, so I waited to see who's the lucky winner, and it stopped at a slot with a token coin, the token owner, a couple was pointing eagerly at the huge teddy bear that hanging in front of them, the cashier handed it to them, seeing the smiles on their face suddenly boosted my spirit and encouraged me to play too lol.

As I was walking around, I came to a stall with a round water pool full of ducklings like the one they used for DIGI ads. I was amused lol, reading the instructions written by marker on a piece of manila card that was hanging at the center of the pool, I handed the Indonesian girl cashier 3 tokens for a game, then she passed me a long wooden rod with a net attached to the end of the rod. There were so many ducklings swimming around, making me so dizzy, I don't know which one to scoop, alas I caught one which was immediately grabbed by the cashier, she turned it over and there was a tag with a number on it, I got a prize! woohooo...



There were many game stalls there; darts, ping pong, shooting, bingo, bowling and etc.



I could tell you, I was sweating like hell while playing games, it was so hot and dry in that place, moreover with spots lights playing, loud music and concentrations...
When we finally finish our tokens, we were very exhausted, thinking of walking back to our hotel we felt so lazy, my colleague was complaining that I dragged him into this lol. Oh well, we still need to walk home. It was an unexpected night, but we had fun, we felt different and glad that we tried...



3 comments:

  1. It did look like a bundle of fun alright! I haven't been to a funfair in ages!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss funfairs. Just so sad to see them all so empty these days. Where are the kids?!

    ReplyDelete