Friday, May 22, 2009

Passion for the dream job

It is a 'passion' I started picking up again recently as it was where I dropped it temporarily last time, the Sign Language. It was like a reunion for me to re-join the group at Level 2 class which held every once a week on Thursday, 7 PM - 9 PM at the Young Men Christian Association (YMCA, Brickfields).



Before I proceed, I'd like to explain a little bit of how and when I got myself into the world of the Deaf. I also did mentioned them before in my older posts that I have passion for the Deaf, especially the language they use to communicate, the Sign Language.



My first encounter with the Sign Language was more than 5 years ago where I worked in a McDonald's outlet in Penang, when I have to use hand signs and body language to communicate to my Crew Leader, he was the person-in-charge of the kitchen, quality and quantity of the products were under his control during his shift.



Slowly and gradually I was 'lured' in or attracted to its beauty, the language of communication. I would ask him a few words a day, or everytime I met him during my shift, and from then I've always look forward to work in the same shift as his. He would patiently teach me the correct signing, the placing of the hands in order to show / perfect certain signs. But he was very strict in his work, no one got pass him with an extra packet of chili, sometimes he could notice you stealing burger or a drumstick from the waste bin from far and throw things at you in order to get your attention, or make noise so he could talk to you.



It was him that aroused my interest and love towards Sign Language, he brought me to the association's AGM one day, I dropped my jaw and didn't even blink my eyes, I only see signs and hear silence in the conference room. That was amazing, I said to myself.



From there, I began to pick up the Sign Language myself without the help of an instructor or teacher, I learned from the Deaf, I would follow them to their regular activities and then wait at the favorite meeting point (usually a hawker stall or food court) after the activity, to chat that was.



At the beginning, I was the only hearing person in the crowd, my eyes were just rolling, up and down, then left and right seeing them responding to each other's commands, it's a scene for me! Even I don't understand a single sign. Then after a few meetings where I got a bit more acquainted to them, I would budge in or cut in and stop their signing, then I would ask them what were the signs meant, and I would jot it down, they were curious at first, probably thinking I was a weirdo, but they saw my perseverance and hard-working, they willingly offer classes to me and even 1-to-1 class to teach me Sign Language, some offered me some books on Sign Language.



So I began my work, contribution and commitment to the Deaf society, I socialize with them practically everyday, I didn't get tired of it, I even wanted a Deaf partner that time! I remembered one time I signed the whole night, just plain signing with a bunch of Deaf and we were laughing and enjoying the 'chat'.



When I walked into the class room in YMCA, that day, immediately it brought me back when and where I was learning like the beginning, it just happened in the same room, but it was much quieter now, the students and the teacher were no where in sight! I went back downstairs to check the schedule and re-checked with the receptionist again, it was correct, the class commercing at 7:00 PM. Then I walked out and waited outside hoping to see someone I knew.



There, the YMCA Laundry remains, fully owned by a Deaf and runs by the Deaf as well, I stepped in and waved 'Hi' to the lady worker, who didn't realise until I told her that I've worked here before with the teacher who's being late for class today. We were laughing and a hearing couple came in, handing her a windbreaker, wanting a dry wash for it, the Deaf lady took a look at it and look at the customer again and shook her head, and she was signing 'The machine is not working, it was broken...', the hearing couple found difficulty understanding her signs, then I politely talked by their side and explain the situation to them, apparently the shop hasn't found any man to fix the machine because there weren't any man nearby who knows how to fix the machine, so the worker told them to go look for other laundry shop, after apologising to them and seeing them walking out the laundry shop, I saw my teacher shouldered in between the couple and she saw me.


Teacher: Hey Joe! What're you doing here?



Me: Waiting for you, I thought the class starts at 7?



Teacher: Yes, sorry I was late.



So there we were distributed some papers and a booklet what seems like a thin text book to me. And I was browsing the assignments:



Assignment #1: Deaf Event, I have to attend at least 3 Deaf events, preferably not organized by YMCA, and at least 1/3 of the crowd is Deaf.



Assignment #2: Book / Movie Review, of cause it must be related to Deaf culture / society / awareness and so on...



Teacher: Ok, before we start, shall we introduce ourselves, start from Joe.



Me: Hi, my name is Joe and the sign is 'JO' and I am working in the Head Office of McDonald's...


Before I could finish...


Teacher: Alright, since you're the only male in the class, I should inform you guys about another thing about becoming an Interpreter, there are many male Interpreter in the world, most of them are either gay or, married to a Deaf wife. So what are you?



It was like I was struck by a frozen sharp razor, I wanted to turn and face the walls but I couldn't. With the tiny boldness I had, I swallowed and answered 'Yes...I am gay.'



Teacher: Really?! I knew it from the beginning ahahaha.



The rest were whispering, though they were only 5 of them.



However, there were no concrete facts that says gays like to be Sign Language Interpreter or gays are more eligible, dominant or capable in interpreting jobs, all I am saying is, Interpreter is a unique occupation, it's rare and it is in fact a highly paid career, and not for the soft hearted, as Interpreters need to work, sometimes very long hours, stressful situations and preferably a versatile person who would be able to switch in order to suit in the situation or vice versa.



When we were discussing the 3rd Assignment, the teacher suggested to me to cover a topic about Gay and Lesbian Deaf which interests me, I have thought of that but it is just too much of the effort to find out how many gays in the Deaf society especially in Malaysia. There are, I mean but they are more towards closeted ones, conservative and scared. It's a bit tough to conduct interview with them as Deaf are sensitive on certain issues than the hearings do. The rest of the assignments are not that hard to complete and we have about 2 months before submission which is great.



As I walked down the street towards KL Sentral after the class, part of my mind was heavy and part of it was light, a mixture of feelings, like happy yet sad. I had trouble figuring out what was I doing. I guess I just have to move forward, towards my dream.

2 comments:

  1. just curious: how is the sign language for 'gay'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Place the letter 'G' on your chin, same goes for lesbian, put the letter 'L' on your chin and it means lesbian.

    ReplyDelete